Plants are one of the best ways to brighten up your home as it adds a certain lively feel to the room. However for pet owners there is some risk involved in plant ownership. Some of the most popular and common houseplants are extremely poisonous to our pets. Here is a list of some of the most loved plants to avoid for pet owners, however always do your research before bringing home a plant as there are thousands of plant species that are harmful to your pets. 

Lilies (any kind)

One of the most beautiful and loved flowers is unfortunately extremely toxic for cats. Ingesting even the smallest amount or licking some of the pollen off their coat can cause kidney failure and death. 


The very resilient and easy-to-grow philodendron is one of the most popular plants especially for the new plant enthusiasts. These plants contain very high levels of calcium oxalate crystals and if ingested it can cause burns to the mouth, excessive drooling and vomiting. Similar issue is seen with snake plants or pothos – two other very popular houseplants. 


Many keep this plant for medicinal value as well as beauty. However chewing on aloe can lead to vomiting, diarrhoea and lethargy. It may be very valuable for people’s burns and scrapes, but must be kept away from pets. 


There are many varieties of this exotic looking plant, but unfortunately all of them are toxic due to calcium oxalate crystals. Chewing on this plant will cause a lot of oral discomfort and swelling in the mouth and tongue for your pet. 

Bird of Paradise

This beloved indoor plant is sadly not a great option for pet owners as its fruit and seeds can cause vomiting and drowsiness. 

Corn Plant

The popular corn plant also known as Dracaena fragrans contains saponins that are extremely toxic to plants as their ingestion can cause dilated pupils in cats as well as vomiting, anorexia and more. 

This also concerns the Dragon Tree which is one of the most popular house plants and can be found in many households. 

Monstera Deliciosa

This extremely popular plant can be found in most plant lover’s homes, being an aroid, it contains insoluble calcium oxalates that can irritate your pets. Ingested, Monstera can cause strong burning and irritation in the mouth and vomiting. 

This also goes for another favourite – fiddle leaf fig, due to its calcium oxalates crystals these beautiful large plants are toxic to pets. 


These spring-blooming perennials are beloved by many due to their beautiful colours and lovely fragrances. Sadly, chewing on the bulbs can cause severe vomiting and diarrhoea as well as profuse drooling and loss of balance. Tulips also belong to the same plant family and can cause similar symptoms as Hyacinth. 


Ficus has been a very common houseplant for decades as it can grow large and fill the space with greenery, however it is listed as toxic to pets as it contains a proteolytic enzyme and psoralen. 


Poinsettia is quite popular especially during the holiday season in December. This plant is also of Euphorbia genus and has an irritating sap that is toxic to pets, however some argue that its toxicity is over-rated. 

We will end our list here, but stay cautious and always check the plant’s toxicity as there are thousands of plants that can be harmful to your cat or dog. You might feel like we just crushed your plant lover’s heart listing all your favourite houseplants, but here is a quick list of some of the plants that are completely safe to have around pets: